Monday, June 23, 2008

Why five Miniature Schnauzers?

Why can't I settle for one? One dog four years ago and now I have five. One vintage trailer last year and now I have two. In some ways I've came to realize it has to do with being a mother. If my son hadn't wanted one of my dog's pups I wouldn't have bred her. If I hadn't bred her I wouldn't have been too soft hearted not to sell the remaining two pups. If I didn't have two females I wouldn't have considered getting another male to breed them with. If I hadn't accepted the fourth pup as a gift from my son then I wouldn't have been too soft hearted to return the pup to the breeder when he didn't pass his puppy exam. Noooo, when the breeder said I could keep him and pick out another pup did I pass on the offer? Of course not, that would have made sense. Ironically I have now decided not to breed any of the dogs. Having become more educated in pet population and puppy mills, I just don't think I need to add to the problem. The thought of one of my dog's off spring not being taken care of and loved the way it deserves was enough to stop me in my tracks. Now I am considering opening a doggie day care this fall. Since I live in a rural area I'm not sure how it would go over, still lots of thinking to do on this subject.

No comments: