Saturday, August 30, 2008

OMG, It's true...I have turned into my mother!


Really, it's true. Do you have any idea how many years I've tried not to be like her? My mother and I were not close until a couple of years before her death in my mid twenties. I hadn't been around her much between my junior high years and early twenties. It was the typical middle daughter syndrome. My older sister was the beauty queen, my youngest sister was the smartest student in her class and was advanced two years in school so that she graduated when 16 and got a free ride to college due to her SAT score. It was hard to be average.


So...it's ironic that I've turned out to have the most in common with her. The older sister owns her own salon in Dallas and the younger one is an HS advanced math teacher. Neither one of them have grown or harvested a thing in their lives. They certainly haven't canned anything which leads me to toady's entry.


I'm canning, freezing, pickling..maybe I've pickled my brain???? Six years ago you couldn't have drug me into a vegetable garden and now I'm giving advice to my friends. Have I grown old and not realized it? If only my grandmother and mom could see me now!


Actually I know that it's my husbands influence and the fact that I'm not working full time. Let me tell you, if I were still working 12 hr shifts I'd be buying my veggies and fruits off the grocery shelf. Since I'm not I've been spending this last week putting up fried apples, green beans, and corn. I'll be doing cream style corn tomorrow and start on my peppers and okra. We've been growing jalapenos and okra for several years but this will be the first year that I pickle any. It's also the first year we have grown banana peppers and I'll give those a try also.

No comments: