Sunday, July 13, 2008

Worried

It's been a hectic week. We wound up not coming home from the lake till the 5th. Once getting home it was a lot of working unpacking and getting things back to normal. We had camped in the trailer 17 days out of 3 weeks and it was a mess.

While still at the lake my son and I had a huge argument and wasn't speaking till a day ago. That was difficult for me as we are very close but we are also hard headed, stubborn, etc. Things are better now but it will take awhile for the hurt on both sides to go away.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law came for a visit two days after we got home. It's only been about 6 weeks since my father-in-law passed away and I feel so terrible for her. She lost him just a few days short of their 50th wedding anniversary. Kathy, my SIL said that all she does is sit on the couch. She's been able to get her out of the house twice and that was to come see us. We don't live in the same town, about an hour and half away so it isn't like we can visit everyday. She isn't alone and I'm thankful for that. Two of her adult sons live with her so I know they are taking care of her but they are a bit odd. Guess that's obvious because we are talking about two men in their 40's that still live at home.

I'm very worried about my father. He is 82 and his health is failing. Last night he went to the ER and they admitted him with a bowel obstruction. Found out this morning that he isn't urinating either. He is a 3 time cancer survivor, had his back broke in 4 places, lost a lung and is just a very strong individual. He has fought and worked so hard his entire life and I think he's tired. Last night at the hospital my step mom tells me that he's been have trouble with his bowels for the last 8 months. Now during this time he has also lost his appetite and has lost close to 50 lbs. I hadn't heard about the bowel problems till last night and she tells me he has been eating prunes and taking laxatives almost daily. I wanted to smack both of them. This morning I asked her if this had been discussed with his doctors, her reply..I think so! I'm waiting till after the doctor sees him this morning before I go up. Sandy (Dad's wife) and my sister are there. I'll stay with him this afternoon and let them get some rest. We'll give this hospital 24 hours then we'll take him to Evansville, IN or St. Louis if we don't see improvement. To say that I have little faith in our local hospital is a massive understatement. If he hadn't been in so much pain last night we would have went to Evansville to begin with. If you've stuck with me this far send up a little prayer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're going through this (again). You & your family are going through such an amazingly difficult time. You are all in my thoughts & prayers.